ALDOT reminds motorists they can check the conditions of Alabama’s state and federal highways on the
Road Conditions page on the ALDOT Web site at www.dot.state.al.us.
The public may also check ALDOT’s Traffic Information and Cameras page for additional information on traffic delays, construction projects and other highway conditions from the ALDOT Home Page.
ALDOT has made preparations and mobilized personnel and resources across the state to respond to icy bridge/road conditions and other adverse impacts from the winter storm. ALDOT will monitor roadway conditions and will make every attempt to keep highways passable and as safe for travel as possible.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor local news for information on weather conditions and frequently check road conditions and travel advisories. To report traffic crashes or other emergencies to state troopers, motorists with cell phones may dial *HP (*47) toll‐free.
If driving becomes necessary, motorists should use caution, be alert for work zones, highway maintenance personnel and emergency vehicles. Motorists are reminded to obey Alabama’s “move over” law.
State Troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
• Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop.
• Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer
solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
• Remember weather and roadway conditions can quickly change. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
• During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
• Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black ice”.
• Keep blankets, a first aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.